Saturday, February 21, 2009

Eternal Laws


As I proceed down the road of self discovery, I frequently entertain some mental rhetoric about my past, my progression, and my passions. I find myself butting up against some hard eternal laws. I ask myself why am I not more successful in more avenues of life. Why am I not a better athlete? Why am I not a world class pianist? I wonder why I don't have a rich house on the hill, a fancy car, and a myriad of other things. More importantly, I ask myself why have I not applied myself to the very basic, fundamental things? Things like: why don't I have such-n-such job, or why am I not married, etc? I wonder is there a way to get around these laws and still obtain the reward some other way?

Well... a couple of things come to mind. "There are NO short cuts," "you've got to pay the price," and "its about a life style." In addition, there are laws upon which blessings are predicated, and when we obtain any blessing, its because we have obeyed the laws in which it was predicated. Unfortunately I haven't always had this view or at least remembered it when the going gets tough. Somehow I feel like I have just flaked out just before the growth came, just before the reward was given.

I have been reading from Stephen Covey's book First Things First, and I feel like he explains things very well in an example he calls the Law of the Farm.

"In agriculture, we can easily see and agree that natural laws and principles govern the work and determine the harvest. But in social and corporate cultures, we somehow think we can dismiss natural processes, cheat the system and still win the day. And there's a great deal of evidence that seems to support that belief. For example, did you ever "cram" in shcool- goof off during the semester, then spend all night before the big test trying to cram a semester's work of learning into your head?

Can you imagine "cramming" on the farm? Can you imagine forgetting to plant in the spring, flaking out all summer, and hitting it hard in the fall - ripping the soil up, throwing in the seeds, watering, cultivating - expecting to get a bountiful harvest overnight? Cramming doesn't work in a natural system, like a farm. In the long run, the Law of the Farm governs in all areas of life. How many of us wish now we hadn't crammed in school? We got the degree, but we didn't get the education. We eventually find out there's a difference between succeeding in the social system of school and succeeding in the development of the mind- the ability to think analytically, creatively, at deep levels of abstraction, and the ability to communicate orally and in writing, to cross borders, to rise above outmodded practices and solve problems in newer, better ways."

There are many facets of life that apply to the Law of the Farm - physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. We reap what we sow. The price needs to be paid, there are really no short cuts. Just hard work. There are a lot of things that I desire to have and to know, and I shouldn't expect things to magically appear and happen. I know in the end I can't side step eternal laws, I have to live them, and not only live them, but to come to love to live them.
"All kingdoms have a law given; And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions. All beings who abid not in those conditions are not justified" (Doc& Cov. 88:36, 38-39). How can we expect to live and be with God if we don't like living like He lives and doing what He would have us do? "For he who is not able to abide (live, keep, tolerate) the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory. And he who cannot abide the law of a terrestrial kingdom cannot abide a terrestrial glory. And he who cannot abide the law of a telestial kingdom cannot abide a telestial glory" (Doc.& Cov. 88:22-24).
" If you wish to go where God is, you must be like God, or possess the principles which God possesses, for if we are not drawing towards God in principle, we are going from him and drawing towards the devil. Search your hearts, and see if you are like God. I have searched mine, and feel to repent of all my sins." Joseph Smith

3 comments:

  1. I needed to read this tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found your rantings... They reminded me of conversations we have had before. I sure miss your insight on life, thanks to them I am where I am today... "I don't need anymore friends" famous quote by Kris
    Anyway, keep updating your thoughts... they might inspire me more! Like this one did, I can't expect an outcome without any work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this thought reminds me or one of my favorite thoughts lately,- probably because it talks about what is earned (sort of related to justice)though the idea explores a different direction of the related idea:
    Deep Thoughts: The best stories involve forgiveness. Heroism is great, justice is inevitable, but Mercy is something extra. It is by definition, just that: that which was not required, that which is just beyond our reach, beyond our power to obtain by ourselves. If it were not so, if there was something we could do to receive it, it would not be called Mercy. It would be called justice; the natural outcome of a corresponding action. Mercy is that which we receive, regardless of the fact that we are powerless to effect its bestowal. We cannot control it, we did not earn it, we do not deserve it, yet it is given to us freely, by the grace and love of Him to whom it pertains. It is core to our existence and progress, for much of what we are and have received we have obtained by Mercy, of no power of our own.

    ReplyDelete